Criminal Justice Databases
Start with these databases:
Academic Search Ultimate (EBSCOhost)
- A scholarly, multi-disciplinary, database; with full text coverage of
10,021 journals in a range of subjects. This database is a good starting place
for almost any topic search.
- Features more than 15,000 news, business, and legal sources, including
U.S. Supreme Court decisions dating back to 1790.
Other article databases:
- Explores a single hot issue in the news each week, covering 44 topics,
including expanded reports. Especially useful for pro/con presentation of
issues currently being discussed. This is an excellent place to search for
term paper topics.
Ethnic NewsWatch (ProQuest)
- A full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the
ethnic, minority and native press.
- A scholarly journal archive that provides image and full text access to
archival (more than 5 years old) scholarly journals in a wide variety of
National Criminal Justice Reference Service Abstracts (NCJRS)
- The NCJRS Abstracts Database contains summaries of the more than 200,000
criminal justice, juvenile justice, and substance abuse resources housed in
the NCJRS Library collection.
ProQuest US Newsstream
- Full-text of the most recent premium U.S. news content as well as archives
which stretch back into the 1980s featuring newspapers, newswires, blogs, and
news sites. Includes coverage of 150+ major U.S. newspapers such as the New
York Times and the Wall Street Journal, plus hundreds of other news
sources and news wires.
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
- This database covers topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics,
psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational
& experimental methods. Offers full text coverage for nearly 400 journals.
- This database is a resource for abstracts of scholarly journal articles,
book chapters, books, and dissertations and is the largest resource devoted to
peer-reviewed literature in behavioral science and mental health. It contains
approximately 3 million citations and summaries dating as far back as the
1600s with DOIs for over 1.4 million records. Journal coverage, which spans
from the 1800s to present, includes international material selected from
around 2,400 periodicals in dozens of languages.
Sage Journals Online
- General purpose database for scholarly articles.
- Extensive database of Elsevier journals in a wide range of subjects.
Excellent searching capabilities and full text access. An excellent resource
for authoritative information in many subject disciplines.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other
Oxford Handbooks Online
- Provides in-depth, high-level articles written by the world’s leading
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos
with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Dixie State
- A list of ebook databases available at Dixie.
- Manage your citations with a bibliographic utility.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries.
ProQuest Research Companion
- Information literacy training aligned with ACRL Information Literacy and
Common Core English Language Arts standards. Provides a framework and
foundation for information literacy instruction.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.