Social Sciences Databases
Start with these databases:
MasterFILE Complete (EBSCOhost)
- Multidisciplinary database designed for public libraries that covers virtually every subject area of general interest. Provides a large collection of popular full-text magazines, journals, and other sources from the world’s leading publishers as well as a large image collection of photos, maps and flags.
- Provides full-text access to a selection of humanities and social sciences journals.
- Extensive database of Elsevier journals in a wide range of subjects. Excellent searching capabilities and full text access. An excellent resource for authoritative information in many subject disciplines.
Other article databases:
America: History & Life (EBSCOhost)
- A database of literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. With selective indexing for 1,700 journals from 1964 to present and full-text coverage of nearly 200 journals and more than 100 books.
Ethnic NewsWatch (ProQuest)
- A full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press.
- Indexing, abstracts and full-text collection of journals, magazines, newsletters, regional publications, conference reports on gender studies sources with coverage from the 1970’s to the present.
Historical Abstracts with Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- This resource provides selective indexing of historical articles from thousands of journals. Coverage includes the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women’s history, history of education and more.
- A scholarly journal archive that provides image and full text access to archival (more than 5 years old) scholarly journals in a wide variety of subject areas.
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
- This database covers topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational & experimental methods. Offers full text coverage for nearly 400 journals.
- Reference resource for historical topics. Provides access to Milestone Documents, a collection of primary source documents, The Decades covering the 1950s through the 1990s, Musicians & Composers and the Encyclopedia of American Business.
Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Consolidated searching of Science Citation Index, Social Science Citation Index, and Arts and Humanities Index. Searchable by all elements of the citation. Limited full text provided.
Web of Knowledge
- Consolidated searching of citation search engines and multidisciplinary listings of articles in 8,500 major scholarly journals. Limited full text access. Clusters results in subject areas and document types.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other reference publications.
Oxford Handbooks Online
- Provides in-depth, high-level articles written by the world’s leading scholars.
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross searchable reference.
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Dixie State University Library.
- A list of ebook databases available at Dixie.
- Manage your citations with a bibliographic utility.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries using interlibrary loan.
ProQuest Research Companion
- Information literacy training aligned with ACRL Information Literacy and Common Core English Language Arts standards. Provides a framework and foundation for information literacy instruction.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.