English: Languages & Literature Databases
Start with these databases:
- A scholarly journal archive that provides image and full text access to archival (more than 5 years old) scholarly journals in a wide variety of subject areas.
- Provides full-text access to a selection of humanities and social sciences journals.
MLA International Bibliography (EBSCOhost)
- This database offers a detailed bibliography of journal articles, books and dissertations produced by the Modern Language Association. Topics include language, literature, linguistics, and folklore. Some material is in full text, many others are bibliographic citations or abstracts.
Other article databases:
Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost)
- A scholarly, multi-disciplinary, database; with full text coverage of 4600 journals in a range of subjects. This database is a good starting place for almost any topic search.
Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Citation index that provides consolidated searching of a social science citation index, art and humanities citation index and multi disciplinary databases—may be searched by author, title, subject, and topic. These are citations of usage, not full text and will be useful primarily to upper division students and faculty doing research.
Biography Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- A comprehensive collection of biographies on notable personalities.
Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database (CLCD)
- Index of reviews (some full text) for children’s literature with some curriculum connections for specific books. Supports the Education Program and classes in children’s literature taught in the English program.
Literary Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- Provides a broad spectrum of information on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and timeframes. Features a collection of author biographies, plot summaries and work overviews, full-text essays from leading publishers, literary reference books and monographs, cover-to-cover full text for literary magazines and journals, book reviews, poems, short stories, classic texts, author interviews, and more.
Poetry & Short Story Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- A collection of full-text poetry, short stories, and supplemental content, offering users a historically rich collection of hundreds of thousands of poems, as well as biographies and authoritative essays on such topics as poetic forms, movements and techniques.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other reference publications.
Oxford English Dictionary Online (OED)
- Historical dictionary of English, covering use of words from earliest times to present day.
Oxford Handbooks Online
- Provides in-depth, high-level articles written by the world’s leading scholars.
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross searchable reference.
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
- Reference resources for psychology, health, historical topics, and literary criticism.
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Dixie State University Library.
- A list of ebook databases available at Dixie.
- Manage your citations with a bibliographic utility.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries.
ProQuest Research Companion
- Information literacy training aligned with ACRL Information Literacy and Common Core English Language Arts standards. Provides a framework and foundation for information literacy instruction.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.