Dixie State University
Library & Learning Services
Medicine & Health Databases
Start with these databases:
CINAHL Complete (EBSCOhost)
- This database provides provides broad content coverage of 50 nursing
specialties, speech and language pathology, nutrition, general health and
medicine and indexing for nearly 5,500 journals and full text access for more
than 1,300 key journals in the nursing field.
ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source
- This database provides full text journals, evidence based resources, and
dissertations to support the study of the many aspects of nursing or the allied
health professions including physical therapy, radiography, dietetics, dental
hygiene, and the clinical laboratory sciences.
- Comprises approximately 20 million citations for biomedical literature from
MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. PubMed citations and
abstracts include the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary
medicine, the health care system, and preclinical sciences. PubMed also
provides access to additional relevant Web sites and links to the other NCBI
molecular biology resources.
- Extensive database of Elsevier journals in a wide range of subjects.
Excellent searching capabilities and full text access. An excellent resource
for authoritative information in many subject disciplines.
Other article databases:
Academic Search Ultimate (EBSCOhost)
- A scholarly, multi-disciplinary, database; with full text coverage of
10,021 journals in a range of subjects. This database is a good starting place
for almost any topic search.
Access Medicine (Harrison’s Online)
- Authoritative online medical reference, especially useful for students in
Allied Health Sciences. Limited to two concurrent users. Includes Harrison’s
Principles of Internal Medicine.
Alt HealthWatch (EBSCOhost)
- A database providing indexing, abstracts and full text (selected) of
articles in periodicals, journals, and other publications focused on
alternative approaches to health and wellness from more than 180 international
and often peer-reviewed journals, reports and proceedings.
- A collection of critical reviews written by leading scientists. Annual
Reviews volumes are published each year for 40 focused disciplines within the
Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences including Economics.
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition (EBSCOhost)
- This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on
many medical disciplines. It also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide,
which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700
JAMA (The Journal of the American Medical Association)
- A peer-reviewed medical journal published by the American Medical
Association. It publishes original research, reviews, and editorials covering
all aspects of the biomedical sciences. Dixie State University only provides
full-text access to JAMA and JAMA Network Open.
- Indexing and abstracting for medical information on medicine, nursing,
dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences,
and much more. This is a standard reference to locate articles for the fields
of medicine and allied health. It does not contain full text.
MEDLINE (Web of Science)
- This database is very similar to the EBSCOhost versions of MEDLINE, but
does include limited full text.
The New England Journal of Medicine
- A leading medical journal that provides high-quality, peer-reviewed
research and clinical content to physicians, educators, and the global medical
Nursing Reference Center Plus (EBSCOhost)
- This resource can be used to get answers to questions quickly, access care
plans, watch video demonstrations, strengthen nursing skills, earn continuing
education credits and much more.
- Provides indexes and backfiles for hundreds of clinical journals that cover
a wide variety of health topics. Also contains current articles from the
American Journal of Nursing (AJN), the Journal of Nursing
Administration (JONA), and the Journal for Nurses in Staff Development.
R2 Digital Library
- Provides a selection of ebooks focused on the health sciences. Limited to
three concurrent users.
Sage Journals Online
- General purpose database for scholarly articles.
- Reference resources for psychology, health, historical topics, and literary
SPORTDiscus with Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- This database is the premier source of literature for sports and sports
medicine studies, providing full-text content from many respected journals.
It is an essential tool for health professionals, researchers and students,
providing extensive coverage in the areas of fitness, health and sport
Biomedical Reference Collection: Basic (EBSCOhost)
- Full-text reference database including over 100 medical titles covering
disciplines that include clinical medicine, nursing, dentistry, and health
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos
with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Dixie State
- A list of ebook databases available at Dixie.
- Manage your citations with a bibliographic utility.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.